PURELIFE's Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita) is from India and is a 100% Pure Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil, which is steam distilled from fresh herbs.
Peppermint is an herb that is a cross between spearmint and watermint. Mints are a popular herb grown in many gardens, but Mentha x piperita the most common classic peppermint you think of having the common strong, minty smell and taste. It is often an ingredient in most mint products such as dinner mints, breath mints, and even Altoids.
It grows all over the world, but the United States is the largest producer of Peppermint Essential Oil, followed by India, Eastern Europe, Italy, and Morocco.
HISTORY OF USE:
Mentha, which is the name of the species, comes from Minthe who was a nymph in ancient Greek mythology. Minthe made advances towards Pluto, Persephone’s husband who then turned her into a “sweet smelling herb to be trampled underfoot.”
Some of the first mentions of Peppermint Essential Oil use date back to its use in Kyphi, a sacred blended incense used in the temples of Egypt. It is mentioned in1500 BC in the Ebers Papyrus in Egypt. Ancient Egyptians, Chinese, and Japanese all cultivated peppermint for medicinal, religious, and sacred use. Peppermint Essential Oil has been used to treat cramps, digestive problems, and nausea.
Extraction is from the leaves and flowers just before they reach maturity. Through steam distillation, it takes 600 pounds of fresh leaves and flowers to extract 2 pounds of essential oil.
Keep in a cool dark place to prevent your Peppermint Essential Oil from becoming a dark, thick resin-like substance. It should be pale yellow or pale olive green and have its characteristic fresh minty aroma. It is a difficult oil to blend and is best on it’s own.
General Safety Considerations:
- Do not ingest essential oils.
- Do not apply to sensitive areas such as the eyes or mucous membranes.
- Dilute before applying to the skin.
- The information on this site is should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical conditions. Essential oils are not an appropriate treatment of illnesses.
- Contact your doctor if you are pregnant, nursing or for use on children before using essential oils.
- The information on this website has not been evaluated by the FDA.